Thursday, February 09, 2006

6 days to Valentine's Day

Today, I was at the florist to order some flowers to be sent to my friends who are in the production of Puteri Gunung Ledang - The Musical. When at the florist, a steady stream of men came into the shop to order flowers for Valentine's Day. Some wanted to get better value for their money by sending the roses before Valentine's Day. The florists have caught on to that now and they are charging for roses progressively more as it gets closer to Valentine's Day. Seeing these men who are obviously out to impress (or prevent blow-ups) with their girlfriends made me think about the meaning of Valentine's Day. I know many newspaper articles have written and mamak sessions have been held to discuss this topic before but here's my thoughts...

A hand bouquet with a dozen of roses costs RM150 on Valentine's Day. Florists save up the roses for that day, so not all the roses sent on that day will be fresh so they do not last as long as if you buy them on other days. I was just chatting with Rizal and he mentioned going up to Cameron Highlands before Valentine's Day to get the roses so they're cheaper. Hmm... Does professing love has to be with flowers? Personally, I love the beauty of flowers but to spend so much and to put in so much effort just to send someone flowers is something else. Sure, I'll appreciate the thoughts and also the effort but can be more original or not?

Then I started thinking about how far the RM150 can stretch with a bit of imagination. It was also then that I passed by a Lancome promotion at the concourse of the KLCC. Pay RM150 and sign up with Lancome to receive a make-over, photography with an A4 size photograph and redeem RM130 worth of Lancome products. If the photograph is with your loved one, aan enter contest to win more prizes some more. Now, isn't that better than a dozen of roses?

This evening, PT and I went to see Puteri Gunung Ledang - The Musical at the Istana Budaya. Stunning production! I love the energy of the ensemble cast and the way the production looked. The storyline is similar to the movie but the treatment was very different. Tiara Jacqueline was very good in this but I would say AC Mizal as Gusti Adipati stole the show. Ticket prices RM30, RM70, RM100 and RM150. Now, if one has only a budget of RM150 (equivalent to a dozen roses), how about spending it on two RM70 tickets and still have money left to buy a programme? What better way to spend Valentine's Day then to watch a stunning musical about undying love?

With RM150, one could easily pack a picnic with some grapes or strawberries, good cheese, some crackers and a nice bottle of wine and head to the nearest beach or park. Or arrange for a babysitter and spend the evening at home without the kids and just spend time with each other. I like the idea of my kids preparing for me breakfast in bed! Unfortunately, they're too small to do it themselves. Now, if that's not a broad hint I don't know what it is! :D

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting n wonderful toughts bout d V'day. I do agree with you spending somecash over a buch of flowers although it's beautiful but it dosent dosent give much impact compared to spending each moment on that day doing something together for example doing stuff yg dah lama ditinggalkan due to peningkatan usia or responsibilities ... in simpler words doing d' gila2 st5uff u enjoy in those "galfren n boyfren" days'. (yr blog is one of my daily rutin whenever i have extra time or need some breake from this neverending workload).

2:55 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

Thanks for visiting regularly, myrina.

You're right. After marriage and kids, sometimes we forget to just relax and enjoy each other's company kan? Just sitting together and chatting becomes a rarity.

4:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nowadays DH & I get to spend more time together since my boys r bigger. We get to spend the early mornings together running at the stadium , afterthat have breakfast together b4 he goes off to work. We also have lunch together with our boys. When DH gets back from work, we watch tv together at night. Never cld do all these when they boys were younger. Actually everyday is valentine's day for us & it will be 13 yrs of wedded bliss this Sept 5th.

5:49 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

a&a'smom, so wonderful to hear what you and your DH share. You remind me of my 2nd aunt and uncle. I remember they used to sit outside on the swing to chat after dinner. Their children who were teenagers then would wash up after dinner while their parents catch up with each other. Even though I was only a kid, I realised how special that moment together was.

12:40 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have never received flowers from my DH before. I don't think I ever will BUT I'm not complaining. We are more into practical gifts. Like you said, better spend the money on filling the tummy or activities that bring people closer.
Extra thought: I think to make flower giving more meaningful, the guy should have planted it himself. Give her the whole pot and promise to take care of it for her. More lomantic ya?

9:24 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

I totally agree with what you said. Planting and nurturing a plant that flowers will definitely mean more than going out to get a bouquet. Anyone can do that but to plant and nurture until it flowers is more special.

9:51 pm  
Blogger ycling said...

I think every thoroughly agrees on AC mizal being the best! Impact gila.

11:29 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home