Monday, August 14, 2006

Birthday cakes

We had several birthday celebrants over the weekend. Ai Lian's Karina celebrated her 5th birthday, and Damus celebrated his 3rd birthday. Lia's twins, Jamie and Josh celebrated their 4th birthday. My younger brother celebrated his 34th birthday. Fabulous opportunity to get creative with cakes!










Karina is into pink and princesses, so she got a heart shaped pink cake which she helped decorate.









The brief I got for the boys' cake was: Damus is a dinosaur enthusiast. The twin who love cars (and can identify every model of cars on the road from age 2+, whose favourite TV programme is Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear) wanted a cake with a pool or cars. I made them a car cake last year so I had to think of something else.

I find it really amazing how Damus can rattle off 4 to 5-syllable dinosaur names! And how Jamie and Josh can identify every car on the road! So this is the cake they got. Dinosaurs on an island with a lake and (the twins' mom's idea) a car half-submerged in the lake.

Then the cake for my brother. Chun loves motorbikes. In fact, he's turned his hobby into a business by setting up shop selling motorcycle accessories. So, I thought a motorcycle cake will be nice. Problem was, I was at a friend's house last weekend and I could not find a single picture of motorcycle to copy! So this was what I came out with. Nope, I was never good at drawing... If it doesn't look like a motorcycle, then just call it a buggy lah!

FYI, Jee Goo means second uncle (on mother's side). That's what my children calls my brother.

19 Comments:

Blogger tylersstory said...

Man, looking at all those cakes give me an idea for a cheat snack this week! Those cakes look awsome. :)

6:12 am  
Blogger me said...

i really love your cakes. always inspire me to come up with one for my kids'. unfortunately, i'm the type where all my cakes will come up rock hard :-(

9:46 am  
Blogger Min Chan said...

Thank, Tyler. Don't let the cake visuals make you cheat on your diet!

me aka lenglui, just let me know and I'll give you some foolproof cake recipes. Not difficult and you don't need to use cake mix. Not too long ago, I was like you. What's the worst that can happen? Dump the cake and run out to buy one? So why not?

2:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hye min,

just browsing around thru ur hubby's blog then i spotted u.

Can i know how to make the icing?

'm planning to give my mom a suprise cake from me n my dad, and we thot of decorating on our own. so, ok, buy a plain cake but the icing... hmmm, hope u will give me some of ur golden tips on how to make the icing.

5:20 pm  
Blogger Jazzmamma said...

hey! how much you charge for the dino cake? aaron's turning 4 next month & i wan to order!!!

11:35 pm  
Blogger Nicholas said...

Wow.. I must say they are some creative looking cakes... :D Do you make cakes for sale?

12:42 am  
Blogger Min Chan said...

dyana, check out www.allrecipes.com for icing recipes. My favourite is the wedding cake icing or butter cream icing. Or if you're at a bookshop, check out Australian Women Weekly cookbooks on cakes.

jazzmama, I will gladly make Aaron's cake. Tell me when... I love the smell of cake baking in my home, so would love to make a dinosaur cake for him.

Nicholas, no I don't make cakes for sale. It's a hobby which started when I wanted to bake my children's birthday cake.

1:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, min. :)

3:25 pm  
Blogger Babe_KL said...

min, i have one more week to go to bake my first birthday cake with icing and everything hahaha kinda nervous

10:21 am  
Blogger me said...

eh, yesterday i posted comment on requesting for the receipe. but today, it's not there. maybe i didn't say pretty please. pleaseeee, can i have the recipe? thank you. fool-proof receipe for this fool.

11:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tasted your cake! It was DELISH...!!!

I'd much rather have your professionally made amateur-ish looking cake any day than a perfectly decorated cake....it's somehow FILLED with more LURVE....

4:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so so creative ! And it looks so yummy ... Even tho im not a kid i feel like having one of those happening cakes for my self !
I would love to taste your cakes? How do I go about that ?

11:44 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

babe_kl, how did your baking experience go?

dyana, did you manage to ice a cake for your mom?

me aka lenglui, did you get my email with recipes?

big pumpkin, thanks for the compliment!

anonymous, now how are you going to taste the cakes I bake if I don't even know who you are?

2:58 am  
Blogger Babe_KL said...

min, i baked a simple cake with store bought toys as the cake topper hahaha... thanks for the inspiration.

http://babeinthecitykl.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-boiboi-is-4.html

6:25 pm  
Blogger me said...

min, don't know why but i have not been able to get your mail :-( can you please try again, pretty please? can you try kaypolenglui@yahoo.com ?

11:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any email ? Then I can tell you who I am. For now just a fan of your blog and cakes ! and where do you get those dinosaur and coconut tree firgures ? You really should open a lil cake shop.

10:29 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

Anonymous, I won't say "Never" to the idea of opening a cake shop. Maybe eventually, I will have a shop that sells my craft with a little cafe. Do send me an email at hminchan@yahoo.com

10:46 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

Forgot to answer... you can get the dinosaurs at any toy shop. The coconut tree came with the toy pack :D

10:47 pm  
Blogger me said...

rec the receipes, thank you. will try it as soon as i get the materials and let you know how it turns out *keeping fingers crossed*

9:08 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home