Monday, December 11, 2006

Self esteem

Recently I met someone I've not seen in quite a few years. We used to go clubbing together in a group when in our early 20's. This person has an uncanny ability to make me feel unsure of myself then and I was surprised to find out she still does. I'm finding it hard to describe. The way she doesn't really look at me when she talks and how what should be a compliment comes out as mocking. We never became buddies, merely acquaintance. Now I understand why.

I remember leaving her after some brief idle chat wondering why I feel the way I do whenever I meet her. Why do I feel so unsure of myself? Is it because she's superior to me? Why do I allow it? Maybe when I was in my early 20's and was less confident of myself, that would have been understandable. I'm in my late 30's, doing what I love and is good at it, I have a beautiful family and having the time of my life. So, nobody has the right to make me feel bad about myself. No reason to unless I allow it. Nope, not allowing that for sure!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to a point in my life in my mid 20s when I decided that nobody in this world will ever hurt me again. And nobody will make me feel anything I do not want to feel.

In the course of the years, I have made good effort to get to know myself and because I am so sure of myself, know my strengths and limitations, it has worked. My mother can still hurt me sometimes, but the feeling only lasts an hour or 2 - at the most half a day. How fantastic is that?!

Live your life as you please. For the people in this world who cannot help being condescending or patronising, know in your heart...that they haven't had the good fortune to be where you are today. Forgive them.

And if I hear anyone saying anything patronising to you, I will punch them. Nobody messes with my cake maker.

5:25 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

You're an early bloomer then. I'd only decided when in my early 30's LOL Maybe that's why I feel like I'm having the time of my life now.

Same here. If I hear anyone do the same to you, they'll have to answer to me! :D

7:06 pm  
Blogger Cuddly Family said...

funny how there are those whojust manage to push the "right" (or wrong) buttons and they can slash away confidence.. Mothers are unique u know they seem to be able to do that.. it's taking me a long time to get past that too.. (not looking at my bills and debts also helps HAHA)

9:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one is superior over another. And you are definitely one intelligent, warm, caring mama, gurlfren!!

You know what I do whenever I meet someone intimidating? I tell myself, "He/she's only human and poops like everyone else... by taking off their pants!!" The image of Mr/Ms High&Mighty sitting on the 'throne' never fails to crack me up!!! *hahaha*

5:57 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home