Sunday, August 21, 2005

Baking, skills, hobbies...

I've discovered a few things about myself. I am actually quite creative! :D I am damn good at patchwork and quilting, I can cook quite well (good enough at it to cook for dinner parties, bake creative cakes and cater for children birthday parties) and not too bad at face painting.

Skills like sewing and cooking were taken for granted before when every woman was expected to learn these skills. I can't believe I have learned to sew and cook as I used to detest Domestic Science classes. My mother used to scold me for refusing to step into the kitchen. PT was the better cook when we first started going out. He is out of practice and I have improved by leaps and bounds. Hahahaha!

I stumbled upon quilting in 1998 when a friend brought me to a quilt shop. I was just browsing around and before I knew it, I had signed up for classes and bought the equipment and material needed for quilting. I was hit hard by the quilting bug. I was actually happy that PT was busy with work 'coz it meant I could sew and sew and sew and sew without interruption. I bought a sewing machine soon after signing up for classes and I was sewing 12 hours a day, stopping only for meals and toilet! Quilting was also how I coped with a miscarriage in 1999. Instead of crying and moping, every emotion was put into the quilt design. The quilt was to say goodbye to the baby who was not meant to be ours. The quilt was also a gift to the baby we will eventually have. Laura has outgrown the baby quilt now but it is kept away to be given to her when she is an adult. Hopefully, the quilt will be used by her baby.

2 Comments:

Blogger Twin said...

really really nice. you are good at this. the quilt sold outside is over a hundred. :)

5:58 pm  
Blogger adriene said...

when i worked on volunteer construction work for 3 months, i learnt how wonderful, how therapeutic it can be to work with my hands!

it is such a change from typing away in front of a pc, in a sedentery job.

nice quilt u made! i think a homemade quilt makes an excellent pass-down gift for family. reminds me of those quilts that my granny, and lots of other grannies make, with every little bit of scrap cloth they can find. boy, they really knew how to be thrifty.

2:27 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home