Thursday, September 29, 2005

Journey to Weaning Adam

Adam was down with Hand Foot And Mouth Disease (HFM) last Thursday. Sounds worse than it actually is. His paed assured us that HFM is not life threatening but can be very uncomfortable. True enough the rashes in Adam's mouth was so painful, he couldn't eat anything. Porridge hurt his mouth. Nursing hurt his mouth. Even swallowing saliva hurt. Poor little man was so hungry and uncomfortable. He woke up several times at night and cried in frustration because he couldn't nurse. On Saturday morning, he woke up being very grumpy. He didn't want warm milk which hurt his mouth. I gave him some cold milk to drink from a cup. He was so hungry, his hands were shaking when he held the cup. He finished off a small cup of milk very quickly. As soon as he finished, he did a little dance.

My son loves his food but he loved nursing more. As a newborn, Adam could not nurse because he was born with a tongue tie. Fortunately, with the aid of a nipple shield, he could nurse from 4 weeks old. He loved his boobies milk so much, he used to nurse from 7.30pm (his bedtime) until almost 10pm every single night. At his 3rd month check-up, he weighed 9kg! He continued to nurse A LOT until he started on solids at 5 months old. Even after that, he used to wake up several times at night to nurse. By 3rd month or so, he and I could breastfeed half asleep. As Adam grew, he figured out that nursing was one way of getting my attention. I have nursed him at all the weirdest places - stopped at the side of a petrol station, by the highway after paying toll, sitting on the floor of a vacant house at Reshmonu's wedding, at the food court on the 3rd floor of Mid-Valley Megamall, at the computer while typing out a quotation and Adam is standing in front of me nursing,... Name one place and I'd probably nursed him there. A friend of mine commented that everytime she sees me, I seem to be nursing Adam.

A strange thing happened with HFM. Adam could not nurse for a few days. Now that he is better, he has stopped nursing completely. He still places his face next to my boobs when he sleeps at night but hasn't made any attempt to nurse. This morning, I checked his palms and sole of his feet and in his mouth. The rashes are gone. When Adam heard that he asked if he can nan nan again. I offered but he declined... Aiya, my baby is growing up lah but so sudden one?

Several friends who nurse/nursed their children have asked me if I am ok since Adam weaned so suddenly. I expected to be more disappointed that he has weaned but I am not.... really. Adam is 27 months old now. How time flies. The tiny little baby with a voracious appetite has grown to be a handsome little boy with a voracious appetite. He eats so much now, what happens when he becomes a teenager?? AIYO!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Sigh min, your entry made my eyes tear up. They do grow up so quickly, don't they? Skyler is now sitting by herself and attempting to crawl (more like launches herself like a baby torpedo).

11:32 am  
Blogger Min Chan said...

Hi Jenn, I saw Skyler and Raevan last weekend at Ken D'sara. Maybe your mom mentioned meeting me. We were hanging out by the pool the whole day. Both your girls are so beautiful.

4:35 pm  
Blogger Jenn said...

Yes she did! amazed u can recognise them hehe, theyve both grown SO much. Sigh. Getting broody again - and DH is shaking his head LOL

6:22 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home