Thursday, November 24, 2005

Inspired

As I've blogged previously, I've been thinking of dusting out my sewing machine and spend some time to feed my creative soul again. I signed up for a quilting workshop conducted by Jenny Bowker, an Australian quilter currently living in Cairo. The workshop was "Free Motion Quilting", basically what it means is quilting any which way but straight lines!


Free motion quilting of a leaf as demonstrated by Jenny Bowker

Jenny brought along some of her quilts which were stunning! Each of her quilts told a story, a couple of which caused a lump in my throat. These were not traditional quilts for sure. The colours were bold and the quilting added a dimension to her quilts. Quilts made by Jenny were not just visually beautiful, I couldn't help touching and holding the quilts, flipping them over and quite a few of them got me thinking "How did she do it?"

I have always enjoyed making the top piece (which is the piece with patterns) but dreaded quilting. Quilting is essential as it keeps the three layers (top, batting and bottom) together. The workshop today opened my eyes to the endless possibilities of design and how quilting can accentuate the quilt and it need not be a chore but something which can be fun to do. Here is my attempt. Not difficult to see why Jenny is the one conducting the workshop. Hehehe... However, I am determined to be really good at this.



Thank you, Jenny, for your time. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wah, you can sew crooked lines already. Hehehehe. Keep at it, you will be just as good. I know coz' you are a very talented person. It shows!

9:23 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

Thanks, Ai Lian.

11:31 pm  
Blogger adriene said...

hey, your quilt is pretty darn good! I like the free flow and also the detail in your flowers. very cool. there's a website purely for selling stuff that's handmade. can't remember what it's called now. i can see your quilts selling there!

11:08 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

Thanks, Adriene. I am so raring to start on a project now! I seem to see quilt designs in everything. I have my camera in my bag at all times now in case I come across a design or a perfect sunset to be made in to quilts.

1:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Min.. I like the designs. If they are for sale, you have a serious customer here :)

11:18 am  
Blogger adriene said...

remembered the name of the web site which sells only home made things.

www.etsy.com

maybe some inspiration for u there!

take care. adriene

11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From one fellow craftmouse to another, here is one mousehole u have to visit,Min, just to have a peek into her crafty little world! It'll take u thru a maze of startling discoveries...and give u a new sense of how frenzied craft can be, and how to release that creative energy in u without being hemmed in by conventional ideas on neatness and order! Enjoy!

http://sixandahalfstitches.typepad.com/

(BTW dont forget to see her "selfportrait Tuesdays" if u r curious as to what she looks like!)

--CCM--

8:59 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

CCM, I tried going to the site but got this error message instead:

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

9:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Min, I tried it via Yahoo and Google and was ok. How abt u try another way: ie type in "sixandahalfstitches.typepad.com " and press Serach. That should take u to her site. Good luck.

-CCM-

8:30 am  
Blogger Min Chan said...

CCM, I found the site. Thanks! I'll look through it shortly. Swamped with work! I've had to bring work home 'coz going to Miri tomorrow for work. At this point, I do wish work was making quilts....

10:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad u finally loacted the site. Pls enjoy it and the wonderfully zany creations in it....it links u to many other stuff too. I can pore over those photos for hours on end and marvel at how some people have such creativity in them, and to bring those ideas into fruition is even more marvellous. As for yr quilts, they are genuinely labors of love...and the best part is, they can become family heirlooms. All my kids still keep the quilts both their grandmas made for them when they were young....in those days, handsewing was the norm. Nowadays there are such wonderful gadgets and machines to help. So Min, get into quilt therapy and soak in all the warmth and peace it gives u.(Safe journey to Miri....amazing local craftware there too)
-CCM-

7:52 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home