Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Ahhhh.... spa

Today was my first experience in a spa. Kurt and Andy gave me a gift certificate for a spa treat on my birthday and I finally used the voucher today. My treat was to Mandara Spa in Prince Hotel KL. The description of my spa package in their brochure:

Nirvana Massage:

Choose any 50-minute massage, with an additional 30 minutes to enjoy the serene ambience of your suite and the detoxifying benefits of our herbal stea. Your massage ceremony begins with a footbath ritual, a symbolic cleanse to wash away the world and prepare you for total relaxation. Spend time in the steam shower - infused with a concoction of aromatic oils, herbs and spices designed to cleanse and invigorate - enjoy a Tea Ceremony and take time out to relax in private luxury. Finally, enjoy a blisfully relaxing and rejuvenating massage.

Being my first time in a spa, I walked in not knowing what to expect nor what to do. The reception was very pleasant. Gurgling water from a fountain, smell of essential oils permeated the air and soft Balinese music played in the backgroun. I was asked to sit down near the reception. On the table was a wooden tray with four little bowls and some herbs and spices. A lady named Dolly brought some ginger tea and knelt down in front of me. Huh? She then used a little stick (which resembles a tiny swizzle stick) to drip a little oil on my arm and explained that in each bowl in the tray was essential oils for different functions. I chose the one which she said was the most popular. She spoke very softly, and what I could make out was it was an oil which relaxes, heals and even help with jetlag. I thought I couldn't go wrong with what was the most popular.

Then I was led to the changing room which is equipped with lockers. I was given time by Dolly to change. She explained she'll come back to bring me to my treatment.

Next I was led to a room with two massage beds. In the room was also two armchairs with a big bowl of water in front of one of the chairs. I sat down on the chair and enjoyed a foot bath. After the foot bath, I was given ginger tea again. Then it was into the steam room. It was nice being in the steam room. The concoction of aromatherapy oils was pleasant.

Then it was the moment I've been waiting for. Massage! I love massages and have only experienced Thai massage. The last time I had a massage was in Bangkok last October. What a horrible experience! I had a choice of Warm Stone, Ayurvedic or Balinese massage. I chose Balinese. What followed was bliss.... Every tired muscle was kneaded to relaxation. Dolly was very good. She applied just the right pressure for me. I could feel myself relaxing and my mind concentrated on the sensation of Dolly hands. That and the combination of the oils.... Mmmm.... Zz... huh? Finish?

Thanks for the experience, Kurt and Andy. You guys know what a girl wants!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh that's sounds heavenly. Sure brought back memories when Hubs gave me a treat at the Energy Spa ayear ago after maid came back after 3 weeks break

6:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, so nice :) i am a fan of massages too, and would go for one every month in malaysia. but here in japan, it is pretty expensive. beyond my student budget in any case... uhuk uhuk...

adriene

2:04 am  
Blogger Min Chan said...

a&a'smom, your hubs sure know how to pamper you.

adriene, massages once a month? How that's luxury. The masseuse (sp?) comes to your house?

1:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... which reminds me I needed one too. *sigh...

3:24 pm  
Blogger me said...

yes, yes, me too. i know of some ladies who come to the house, pretty cheap too. but it's not quite the same without the ambience. i think it's part of the enjoyment.

9:08 am  
Blogger Inner-Me said...

I love massages, spa, foot spa, hand spa, head & shoulder massage... wow.. makes me want to go to bangkok again... hehe...

next time maybe when you come singapore again, we can try it here...

1:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaahhh..sounds good!! I had a good massage when I was in Penang too. The hotel we were staying in had massages up to 12am! So when the kids fell asleep at 10 something, we quickly booked a massage for both of us (yes, we had 2 massage beds in our spa room too, for husband & wife!).
Same treatment as yours...choose oils, ginger tea (very nice and warm..good for confinement!!), footbath and Balinese massage but no steam room, not enough time.
So nice....room was so romantic...smelt so good...after that because we felt a bit oily, we had a nice jacuzzi bubble bath in room..;)...mmmm...it was a good night...

5:12 pm  
Blogger me said...

min, a little unrelated to your present post, perhaps. but i've got some questions re bread making..can help ah?

is bread flour the same as high protein flour? i can't find bread flour anywhere either. pudu market is a little far for me. but i don't see other markets selling flour. :-( one receipe calls for the use of gluten. but i can't find gluten anywhere! how?! what will happen if i omit it leh?

9:51 am  
Blogger Min Chan said...

me, high protein flour is the same as bread flour. Try the Anchor brand (gold label) or if you are near a baking supplies shop, eg, Chang Tung or Bake With Yen, you'll be able to find bread flour and even wholemeal bread flour.

5:15 pm  
Anonymous Bangkok Hotels Thailand said...

I recommend Wat Pho to those planing to visit Bangkok. This temple is famous for the Reclining Buddha statue. I heard that it is the largest Temple in Bangkok. What you shouldn't miss is to have a really good traditional Thai massage there. Do show respect for the monks when visiting Wat in Thailand.

12:16 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home