Monday, June 23, 2008

Laura's homework weekend 21-22 Jun

BM - Master Penulisan Bahasa Melayu Pages 4 - 7
Jumbled words to be reconstructed into sentences. I have a beef with this. How to reconstruct sentences when the child doesn't know how to construct in the first place?

Chinese 3M hua bao (magazine)
This is what Laura's teacher deem as fun homework. The magazine covers Chinese, Moral, BM, English and Maths in two languages. We used to struggle with this until Laura discovers she doesn't have to do the whole book. And it's ok not to do as her teacher will go through the questions with them.

Mathematics in English Activity Book Pages 6, 8, 9
This is one of the workbooks that are fun. Calculate and solve puzzles.

Isn't it bizarre that there are less homework in the weekends? I shouldn't complain 'coz at least Laura had time to spend with the family.

Last Saturday, parents were to meet the teachers and pick up their children's report card. Laura's teacher said she did pretty well considering she's from an English speaking family. Now, if my teachers had thought like that when I was in primary school, my command of the English would have been next to zero. My father used to work late and my mother was educated in the Chinese medium until she was 9 years old.

I am very proud of my little girl as she got all A's and B's, average mark 87%. Position in class 24/46, in standard 50/218. Goes to show Laura is a smart little girl. If only there was less punishment and more positive reinforcement in school, my daughter would shine!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No doubt about it. Just stay strong and have faith in your little girl - I'm glad my mum did! =)

- Bubbles -

1:34 pm  
Blogger Babysmooches said...

hi, Min! yes, it was great meeting you in person!
Gosh, looking at homeworks my kids, my neighbours' kids, my nieces and nephews and friends' kids are making me jittery over school! Just counting the days when my kids are officially in school. sigH!

1:54 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

baby smooches, now is the time to do some homework, talk to parents in your neighbourhood to gauge what the schools around your area is like. School culture is so important! I am finding out that I do not like the school culture in my daughter's school :( so I'm transferring her out. I wish it didn't have to be that way.

4:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Laura! You are SUCH a good homework doer and learner! I can see from your mommy's blog how much effort you put into your work. You should be very proud of yourself and give yourself a nice big pat on your back.

And good job to Mommy too for the positive encouragement and support!

11:11 am  
Blogger lady lavender said...

Hi Min, I feel sorry for Malaysian and Singaporean school-going kids. My daughter is 10 yrs old. In NZ, the kids learn but it is always fun. They spent most of last term learning about how laws are made; doing a paper mache of a dragon; and also finding facts about ancient Egypt. My daughter and her friend made an Egyptian fress last week; and built a house using playdough...No other homework except for 10 new spelling words.

Also read your stuff about homeschooling. I actually think homeschooling suits kids who can't fit into the school system. Also, unless you come from a social environment, being homeschooled means the kid will miss out on getting along with kids of the same age.

10:40 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home