Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Teachers in my life

This weekend will be the 30th anniversary celebration for my former school. I knew it as SEA Park Secondary School but it's now known as SMK Taman SEA. The place is so different now from when I was in school and it wasn't that many years ago. The approaching anniversary dinner and that it is Teacher's Day got me thinking about the teachers I had in school and the teachers in my life.

As I've blogged before, I enjoyed my year in Methodist Kindergarten. Mrs Goh, who was my teacher had left a lasting impression on a precocious 6-year-old in 1974.

The primary school I went to is situated behind Assunta Primary School. My father had originally registered me in Assunta but I think he was late so by the time my name was in, Std 1 in Assunta Primary was already full. I was placed in another nearby school instead. Not many people knew the school then. Whenever I said I went to school in Sek Ren Jalan Selangor, I usually get "Huh? Where? What?" Some of the best years in my life! Miss Angela Wong was my favourite teacher in primary school. She taught my class in Std 3 and Std 5. I believe she was the one responsible for showing me the wonders of books. She used to encourage us to read and she introduced me to Enid Blyton books. I was hooked! I believe I read the entire collection of Famous Five, Enid Blyton fairy stories starting from Blue Dragon, then graduated to Red Dragon and then Green Dragon, Hardy Boys and Malory Towers. How I love those books! I kept in touch with Miss Wong long after I left school. Later I found out she lived only a couple of streets from me. I have since moved from the neighbourhood we shared. I wonder how she is.

College life was very different from secondary school life. Suddenly, overnight, we were all expected to be more grown up. From being spoonfed information to suddenly be able to find information ourselves. It was scary but exhilirating at the same time. Ms Ruth Tan was a lecturer who opened our eyes to possibilities. To see ourselves beyond being just students. She treated her students as peers, to be shown respect and that our opinions count.

Informal teachers in my life... My own mother who has indirectly shown me that lack of "me" time will result in a frustrated, unhappy mother which translates to unhappy children with unhappy childhood. My mother and my Turkish friend, Esin Bekisoglu taught me the art of stocking up the larder and fridge. Surprise visitors? Staying for dinner? No problem. I think I've succeeded in that as I've heard comments about how there's always food in my home. Hey, I'm very proud of that fact. Nobody goes hungry in my home!

My all time favourite teachers have got to be my family. When I first met PT, I was a result of my parents' upbringing. He taught me to lighten up, to stop being a martyr and he showed me that I have every right to be proud of myself. He gave me room to grow, while keeping me grounded and he loves me unconditionally. I am a better person thanks to him. My children have taught me to laugh at myself, be spontaneous and that it's alright to be silly sometimes. They taught me that when the urge hits you, dance! Doesn't matter if people are looking. My children taught me that children are supposed to be noisy sometimes, they will be silly sometimes and they are true to themselves. They will tell you as it is and they love unconditionally. I love listening to my children when they talk. Laura said today, "It's alright to make mistakes sometimes, isn't it? We all make mistakes." I learn so much from them!

9 Comments:

Blogger Mumsgather said...

Hey! I was at Seapark Secondary school too but only for a year and I'm two years older than you which reminds me that I shall be turning 40 this year. The BIG FOUR ZERO!!! Only I'm like perpetually stuck in my early 30s. Donch know how to feel old wor. Hehe.

9:04 am  
Blogger Jazzmamma said...

wow min! three posts in three days. walawey!

i enjoy reading aloud your thinking aloud :)

9:47 am  
Blogger me said...

jahat lah, my computer. i check everyday also no update from you. suddenly today they update together all 3days' entry. why liddat? made me miss the last two days.

i like the part about your children being your teacher the best. i feel the same. they teach us to laugh and be young again. to look at things from an innocent point of view and lose all the cynism. but my daughter always cry and expect to get 100% for everything. i tell her mistakes are ok but i think her pride is too strong. so much pressure from herself, poor thing.

10:14 am  
Blogger Min Chan said...

mumsgather, how come only for one year? Always young at heart :D

jazzmama, thanks for visiting!

me, I'd started a few entries but didn't have time to finish lor. Not your computer jahat lah. I posted up the three posts back to back :D Sounds like you have a little go-getter there.

10:43 am  
Blogger Mumsgather said...

Only for one year because I was a nomad during schooldays since my father was in the police force. Takut or not? Ex-policeman's daughter here. Hehe.

2:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Min, u r goodlah. I cant seem to remember any of my teachers!

5:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nicepost ma'am.

2:09 pm  
Blogger Min Chan said...

Thank you, Anonymous.

11:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can we please have a post on how you met PT and fell in love ...pleaseeeeeeeeeeee

8:22 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home